FAQs on DATA PRIVACY ACT OF 2012
ON DATA PRIVACY AND POLICY STATEMENTS/RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS
Q: What is DPA?
A: DPA stands for ‘Data Privacy Act’ which was enacted by Congress in August 2012. The DPA was designed primarily to protect personal data that you may share when availing of TrueMoney’s products and services, or when using the company’s websites. Under the DPA, the processing of personal data is allowed subject to adherence to the principles of transparency, legitimate purpose and proportionality. For more information on the DPA, you may log in to this website:
Q: What do you mean by ‘personal data?’
A: Personal data refers to personal information, privileged information and sensitive personal information as defined in the Implementing Rules and Regulations of the Data Privacy Act of 2012 and other applicable laws and regulations.
Q: What are examples of personal, privileged and sensitive personal information?
A: Personal Information refers to any information, whether recorded in a material form or not, that directly ascertains the identity of an individual. This includes your address and contact information.
Sensitive personal information includes your age, date of birth, marital status, social security and other government identification numbers, policy information, health/medical and financial information.
Privileged information is any and all forms of information which, under court rulings and other pertinent laws, constitute privileged communication, such as, but not limited to, information which a person authorized to practice medicine, surgery or obstetrics may have acquired in attending to a patient in a professional capacity.
Q: How is my personal data stored?
A: All information collected from clients are stored in an application system for the purpose of providing products and servicing you. We also have offsite storage facilities for documents containing personal data of our clients located in Metro Manila. These locations may change without need of prior notice to you.
Q: How does TrueMoney protect the personal data of its clients?
A: TrueMoney is committed to protecting the privacy of all personal data provided to us. We maintain physical, technical and organizational safeguards to protect your personal data against loss, theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. We limit access to those who have a business need to know. We are responsible for all personal data in our possession, including information transferred to third parties performing services on our behalf. All such persons, wherever they are located, are required by us to protect the confidentiality and privacy of your personal data in a manner consistent with our privacy policies and practices.
Q: In the event that I avail of your products and services, does that mean you now have the authority to share my personal information with others?
A: By continuing to avail of TrueMoney’s products and services, you authorize TrueMoney, its employees, duly authorized representatives, related companies and third party suppliers, to use, process and share personal data needed in the administration of your account, with any person or organization. TrueMoney only shares personal data on a need-to-know basis.
TrueMoney is required by law to disclose certain personal data to its regulators and other databases specified by relevant laws or regulations.
Q: Who are these duly authorized representatives, related companies and third party service providers?
A: Authorized representatives include TrueMoney’s directors, officers, employees and duly authorized representatives like agents, contracted professionals and consultants/advisers.
Related companies include TrueMoney, its parent, other group affiliated and regional companies.
Third party suppliers include service providers and vendors including processors, data analytics, IT and customer support providers who are bound by an obligation of confidentiality. They will have access to your personal data only as necessary to perform their requested function on our behalf. TrueMoney has established processes to ensure that these suppliers have adequate security and privacy standards acceptable to TrueMoney.
Q: What is data analytics?
A: Big data analytics is the process of examining large and varied data sets – i.e., big data – to learn about market trends, customer preferences and other useful information that can help organizations make more informed business decisions and provide products and services that best suit their customers.
Q: What do you mean by automated processing?
A: Automated processing means using computer or computer programs to extract, process, and communicate information. This includes automated processing operations where the processing becomes the sole basis of making decisions that would significantly affect you as a data subject. TrueMoney may employ in the future automated processing to process applications.
Q: Can I dictate the type of information I can provide to TrueMoney?
A: Yes, you can dictate the type of information you provide to TrueMoney and any of its authorized representatives. However, this selective way of sharing your personal data may affect decisions relative to your dealings or application with TrueMoney. We are required under applicable laws and regulations or per other governing governmental bodies to know and perform due diligence on our clients by obtaining certain information and documents
Q: Will I be informed if there is a breach in the handling of my personal information?
Q: What are my rights as a Data Subject? Can you explain each?
A: As data subjects, you have the following rights:
- Right to be informed . You have the right to be informed whether your personal data is being, or have been processed, including the existence of automated decision-making and profiling, including of any personal data breach which is likely to result in a risk for your rights and freedoms.
- Right to object . You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data, including processing for direct marketing, automated processing or profiling. You may also opt NOT to receive marketing information from TrueMoney.
- Right to access . You have the right to reasonably access, upon written request, the contents of your personal data that were processed. You also have the reasonable right to know the manner by which these were processed; the sources from which these were obtained; the recipients and reasons for disclosure, if any; date when your information was last modified; and information on automated processes where your information will be used as the sole basis for any decision that may significantly affect you.
- Right to rectify erroneous data . You have the right to correct any error in the personal data and if warranted, request immediate rectification.
- Right to erase or block (right to be forgotten). You have, based on reasonable grounds and the public interest in the availability of the data, the right to suspend, withdraw or order the blocking, removal or destruction of your personal data from TrueMoney’s filing systems, without prejudice to TrueMoney continuing to process personal data for commercial, operational, legal and regulatory purposes.
- Right to secure Data Portability . Where personal data is processed by electronic means and in a structured and commonly used format, you have the right to obtain from TrueMoney a copy of such data in an electronic or structured format that is commonly used and allows your further use.
- Right to be indemnified for damages . You will be indemnified for any damages sustained due to such inaccurate, incomplete, outdated, false, unlawfully obtained or unauthorized use of personal data, taking into account any violation of your rights and freedoms as data subject.
- Right to file a complaint . You may file a complaint or exercise your rights above by reaching out to us by contacting us through our email address or TrueMoney Customer Service (+632 718 9999) or your account manager, as may be applicable; or by visiting any TrueMoney Agent Store or our website at https://www.truemoney.com.ph. You may also raise privacy concerns to the National Privacy Commission through their website at www.privacy.gov.ph.
Q: What is the retention limit provided by law on the storage of my personal information?
A: Your personal data will be retained by TrueMoney throughout the duration of your account and/or until expiration of the retention limit set by TrueMoney standards, industry standards, laws and regulations from account closure and the period set until destruction, disposal or anonymization of records, unless withdrawn in writing or withheld due to changes in the information supplied by the Company.
ON OPTING OUT/IN OF RECEIVING DIRECT MARKETING INFO/MATERIALS?
Q: What do you mean by direct marketing information?
A: Direct marketing information/material refers to any communication of any advertising or marketing material which is directed to particular individuals by whatever means such as mail, email, SMS and social media
Q: Can I opt out/in of marketing campaign materials in the future if I change my mind?
A: Yes, If you wish to opt out, you may email us at [email protected] or call TrueMoney Customer Loyalty (+632 718 9999). Otherwise, we will take it to mean that you wish to receive materials regarding financial products and services that may suit your needs.
If you have questions about TrueMoney’s Privacy Statement and Policy, our data processing activities or your dealings with this web site, you can contact the Data Privacy Officer by telephone at (632) 718 9999 or via e-mail [email protected]. You may also email us at [email protected], or call telephone no. TrueMoney Customer Service (+632 718 9999) or your account manager, as may be applicable. Our business hours are from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM, Mondays to Fridays.